Sunday, September 27, 2009

Steely Dan - Reelin' In The Years (Solo)

Artist: Steely Dan
Song: Reelin' In The Years
Album: aja
Soloist: Elliott Randall (guitar)

Another transcription for my guitar lessons, I would like to start by saying that I do not approve of Randall's tone in this tune. It was a mild form of torture trying to write this out (with the scratchy, gritty tone gnawing at my ears). I also don't remember if I actually finished this one. Maybe I just did the first solo (if the outro is a second). I don't know... I'm bad with form.

Anyway, as I was posting this, I did a google search of this tune to find out who the soloist was. The first link that I came across was the "Reelin' In The Years" wiki. It said both that this was Jimmy Page's all-time favorite solo, and that it is the 40th best guitar solo of all-time by the readers of Guitar World magazine. To that I say, "really?" First off, I really don't care for Jimmy Page... at all... so his opinion means next to nothing. And secondly, the Guitar World poll just goes to show how unaware most people are of music that isn't fed to them by the industry. I really don't think that the solo in this tune is remotely close to Top 50 or even Top 250 caliber. Just listen to the sixth measure that I wrote out there (about 2:35 on the tune). Nuff said.

-capomatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment